Eye exam by Dr. Gustavo Aguirre, DVM, PhD, PhD (hc), Diplomat, ACVO
In Portuguese Water Dogs there are two forms of PRA as well as other eye diseases that cause blindness.
All owners of Portuguese Water Dogs are encouraged to have their dog’s eyes tested regularly; annually for breeding dogs, and every 2-3 years for non-breeding dogs. The non-breeding dogs are as important to the breed’s long term eye health as the breeding dogs. If and when a genetic eye problem is found in the a non breeding animals it is important notify the breeder and club firstname.lastname@example.org
Routine eye exams provide the knowledge about the overall eye health of the breed, as well as provide you with an understanding of your dog’s eye health.
The OFA ECR exam is a general eye exam that screens for genetic and non‐genetic abnormalities in your dog’s eyes.
The eye screening exam is performed approximately 20 minutes after pupil-dilating drops are placed in your dog’s eyes. The drops are not painful, but your dog’s eyes may be light-sensitive for up to eight hours.
The ophthalmologist will examine your dog’s eyes in a darkened room. The exam takes only a few minutes.
All dogs in show, performance, and pet homes, should have their eyes examined regularly.
Dogs with normal test results are eligible for OFA-ECR registration certificate that is valid for 12-months.
There will be a Limit of 100 dogs this year
RULES FOR EXAM:
- One person per pet will be permitted in exam room.
- You Must check in with the person at the desk, located in the pop tent
- There will be volunteers available upon check in to put the drops in, your dog will be examined 30 minutes from drop time .
- Breeds requiring a double exam will be examined at this time for an additional $5.00
- There will not be bathrooms available
- If you are exhibiting any symptoms of COVID please do not come to the clinic. Contact Barbara Weisman 609-273-9960 and we will have your money refunded
- A box lunch will be provided for the doctors volunteers
- This is a pre-paid clinic only, we will not have the ability to accept any type of payment the day of the clinic. THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS.
Contact Barb Weisman at Barbie@seaangels.net or 609-273-9960 with any questions.
Keystone Portuguese Water Dog Club